Are you sharing office space with way too many people? Are you living in a house that is older than you? There may be more than just dust under those creaky old floor boards. And there may be more than one sneaky co-worker who’s after those delicious leftovers you’ve been thinking about having for lunch. Roaches are an unfortunate reality that everyone has to deal with. The amount of exposure that each person has with these pests, however, is completely up to those who occupy a home or business day in and day out. Prevention is key when keeping roaches at bay. Here are 10 facts and a few bonus tips that EVERYONE should be using to ensure a roach-free zone:
Not-so-well known facts:
- German cockroaches can produce hundreds of thousands of cockroaches in just one year!
- Heat and high levels of humidity can be a breeding ground for German roaches. Sound familiar?!
- Where there’s one there’s probably more. The cliche rings true here as German roaches spend most of their lives protected behind the scenes. This may include behind cabinets or inside dishwashers or other appliances.
- Strength in numbers: these roaches prefer to crowd together. So when you see one, you can be pretty certain there’s more.
- German roaches frequently spread to other areas. For this reason, when first discovering a German roaches presence, it is important to comb through adjacent rooms from the point of origin.
- They can develop a resistance to traditional insecticides. Because of this fact, we frequently recommend a thorough clean out to rid an are of German roaches.
- Females carry their eggs on their bodies and lay them just before they’re ready to hatch. During their pregnancy, they spend the majority of their time hidden deep in cracks or crevices.
Helpful preventative tips:
- Cleanliness is next to godliness! The old cliche runs very true with this one: roaches (and a lot of other pests) will target any sort of food source. For example: built up grease or residue from your kitchen appliances or crumbs that have been spilt from the dinner table can attract roaches in droves!
- They need water too! Like all living things: water is a vital source of a roach’s existence. This is why roaches are often found in the kitchen or bathroom areas inside homes and businesses. Make sure that there are no leaky pipes that will provide these pests with a consistent supply. Try to avoid leaving pets dishes out overnight. They’ll even go after a damp wash cloth in that kitchen sink of yours!
- It’s your home, protect it! To ensure that these roaches aren’t staying without paying rent you need to know where to look out for their hiding spots. Be sure to seal up any cracks or crevices to prevent entry and re entry. Make sure that all windows and doors remain shut firmly. Just like you and I, roaches will use a doorway too!
The best way to guarantee a roach-free zone!
These are just a few signs and preventative tips you can use to fend off roaches. RH Miller Pest Services has been immersed in the Central Florida area in cities like Longwood for over a quarter of a century. Our experts are committed to getting results for your home or business. As with all of our services, our process starts with a free estimate. Call our offices today @ 407-339-7119 to get the ball rolling! No one should have to share a space with any sort of pests, let alone German Roaches!