Florida’s bat maternity season is right around the corner. The deadline to evict or exclude bats that may be wondering around your business or home’s attic is April 15th. You may be asking yourself, “What happens or what is so special about April 15th?”.
Florida’s Bat Maternity Season
This is the time that the state of Florida has deemed the beginning of bat maternity season. During this 4 month period, lasting until August, it is illegal to disturb bats from their roost while they mate. This 4 month reprieve of disturbance is given so that bats may also have time to raise their young. If a wildlife service were to exclude any bats during this period, the young would be left and most likely perish while trapped inside. So how do you avoid having to deal with this in the first place? We’ve gone ahead and added a few tips and measures to be taken below to ensure that you don’t have to deal with it at all!
- Be sure to check your roof for any vulnerable spots on a regular basis. This includes sealing up any possible cracks or holes within your property.
- If you find any openings larger than a half-inch, caulk it to prevent entry.
- Make sure that you keep doors and other entry-ways closed at night. Bats will use regular entry-ways just like us!
- Observe your property during dusk one evening. This is the best time to identify where bats may be entering while they’re most active!
- If you come in contact with a bat that’s trapped, contact a professional for assistance and be wary of the diseases they may carry.
- Bats hibernate during the fall/winter. This is the best time to bat-proof your home or business!
Leave it to the pros!
Bats are one of the more tricky animals to deal with but luckily, you can leave it up to the professionals to deal with. RH Miller Pest Services has been immersed in the Central Florida area for over a quarter of a century in cities like Apopka. Our experts are committed to getting results for you and your family. As with all of our services, our process starts with a free estimate. Call our offices today @ 407-339-7119 to get the ball rolling. Our wildlife professionals are standing by ready to get you the results you deserve!