Preventing A Rodent Infestation. Florida is a hotspot for all sorts of critters and their favorite place to live is in a cozy easily accessible home. Unfortunately, it is not very difficult for rodents to get into your home and once they’re inside, the problems will start. Here are some facts about rats & mice you may not know, but will help you understand how to better guard against them.
- One female mouse can have more than 60 babies a year! And each of those babies are sexually mature at 1-2 months with each litter averaging about 7. Keeping this in mind one mouse can become 4.3 billion in just one short year!
- If a big portion of a rat colony is exterminated, those that remain will increase their reproductive rate and work quickly to restore the population to its previous levels.
- Mice and rats can squeeze into just about any hole, even small as a 1/2 inch. Fortifying your home is the best defense at stopping an infestation before it starts.
- Rats and mice carry diseases like Weil’s disease, viral hemorrhagic fever, Q fever, rat bite fever and Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.
- The brown rat is an omnivore and will eat almost anything at all.
Prevention Is Key!
- Though not easy, there are 3 things that must be obtained to prevent an infestation. Rodent Proofing, Sanitation and Rodent Killing.
- Rodent Proofing involves making sure that your home is completed sealed. All the openings in the home where water pipes, vents and spouts enter the dwelling will need to be sealed off or filled in. Doors and windows should be tightly secured.
- Sanitation requires using good sanitary practices, such as removing trash, and disposing of any junk or food sources that could be eaten by rats and mice.
- Killing is aspect of population control that is necessary to combat a growing population.
- Homeowners dealing with a rodent problem, there are traps and poisons available, but these will only offer so much relief. When dealing with a large rodent population, it can be quite hard to get it under control.
We Can Help!
Sometimes, we as homeowners are not able to fix the problem ourselves. When the situation gets overwhelming, it’s always good to call a professional. We here at RH Miller Pest Services take pride in making sure that you can have peace of mind. Servicing Central Florida for over 25 years, including areas like Deltona and Kissimmee, we have the expertise to get the results you desire! Bugs, Wildlife or Lawn; we do it all. Find out why we have a 5 STAR ratting on Google today! Give us a call @ 321-316-3948 to set up a free estimate and leave the rest to us!