If you’ve been outside anywhere in Florida around dusk lately, you probably have noticed bats flying out to begin their days. Sometimes that means out of homes or business where they were hiding from the daylight. Unfortunately, since April 15th, you would not have been able to legally disturb them in the state of Florida. But that won’t be the case for much longer! Florida’s bat maternity season ends August 15th. So what does this all mean?!
Florida’s Bat Maternity Season
We are fast nearing the time that the state of Florida has deemed the end of bat maternity season. During this 4 month period, starting around tax day each year, it is illegal to disturb bats from their roost while they mate. This 4 month reprieve of disturbance is given so that bats may also have time to raise their young. If a wildlife service were to exclude any bats during this period, the young would be left and most likely perish while trapped inside. So how do you avoid having to deal with this in the first place? We’ve gone ahead and added a few tips and measures to be taken below to ensure that you don’t have to deal with it at all!
- Be sure to check your roof for any vulnerable spots on a regular basis. This includes sealing up any possible cracks or holes within your property.
- If you find any openings larger than a half-inch, caulk it to prevent entry.
- Make sure that you keep doors and other entry-ways closed at night. Bats will use regular entry-ways just like us!
- Observe your property during dusk one evening. This is the best time to identify where bats may be entering while they’re most active!
- If you come in contact with a bat that’s trapped, contact a professional for assistance and be wary of the diseases they may carry.
- Bats hibernate during the fall/winter. This is the best time to bat-proof your home or business!
Leave it to the pros!
Bats are one of the more tricky animals to deal with but, luckily, you can leave it up to the professionals to deal with. RH Miller Pest Services has been immersed in the Central Florida area for over a quarter of a century in cities like Maitland. Our experts are committed to getting results for you and your family. As with all of our services, our process starts with a free estimate. Call our offices today @ 407-339-7119 to get the ball rolling. Our wildlife professionals are standing by ready to get you the results you deserve!